- Active Shooter/School Safety
July 30, 2018 - July 31, 2018
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
This is a Texas Department of Public Safety certification course designed to train school teachers and employees how to respond to an active shooter.
Although it was designed for teachers and school employees that are allowed to carry in their school, it also benefits school teachers and employees who do not carry in school because you will learn how to respond to a active shooter and still receive the DPS State Certification. This is life saving training developed by Texas DPS and Sanctioned by the State Of Texas.
This course is a two day (15 hour min / max 20 hrs.) course and includes classroom simulation training and advanced live fire training. You must already have a license to carry to take this course.
ANY school teacher or school district employee CAN take this course on their own and receive this “DPS State Certification” that will be submitted to the State of Texas and will become a part of your License To Carry file / credentials, regardless if your school allows you to carry in school or not.
The overall objective of this course is to educate staff on the responsibilities related to school safety who are employees of a school district or open-enrollment charter school who hold a license to carry a handgun. The outlined objectives are:
- Protection of students.
- Tactics for denying an intruder entry.
- Interaction with first responders.
- Methods for increasing accuracy with a handgun while under duress.
- Also included is how to defend against a intruder using items commonly available in a classroom.
- Also included is learning what common items you should have in your classroom to use to deny entry or defend.
- Also included is learning how to “think” under stress.
- Also included is learning how to “be prepared” for the worst case scenario.
The course is a two day course and will start at 8:00 a.m. and end at 5:00 p.m. on each day. One hour lunch plus breaks are given on each day.
Upon successful completion of the course, the staff member will receive a Texas Department of Public Safety Proof of Training Certificate that can be filed in the staff member’s file at the school. It will also be filed with the Texas Department of Public Safety as part of your license to carry.
This provides a level of training unsurpassed in Texas. This also gives the stakeholders a liability shield against claims that is legally more defensible than other non-certified Instructor or Private Classes.
Day 1 (8 to 10 hrs) 8:00 a.m. and end at 5:00 p.m.
- 50 round live fire Pre-Qualification- 90% (225) score on LTC qualification
- Pre-Qualification Written Test- based on existing LTC laws and regulations (90% required)
- Training from certified School Safety Instructors using D.P.S. curriculum
Day 2 (8 to 10 hrs) 8:00 a.m. and end at 5:00 p.m.
- Scenario Training using SIRT Guns by DPS Certified School Safety Insturctors
- Shooting under duress training
- Shooting under duress Training live-fire proficiency using hostage targets
- Final Written Exam (90% required)